Welcome to our website.
Volunteer tour guides wanted!
Madina Masjid has a very successful programme of visits for organised groups including schools, colleges, universities, churches, scouts, women’s groups and youth groups. We also host a number of Mosque Open Days during the year.
The programme of visits helps in improving understanding, educating communities, tackling negative myths about Muslim communities, promoting tolerance and improving community relations. They also deliver part of the curriculum requirements for educational organisations.
Through this programme we have had over 10,000 visitors to the Masjid (mostly non-Muslim).
The groups book their visit through a form available on our website.
Visits are generally carried out between Monday and Thursday at 10am on a pre-booked basis and last between 60 and 90 minutes. We have a small number of evening visits and some at the weekend due to extenuating circumstances e.g. scout groups who only meet at these times. We do not hold afternoon visits as a funeral may be required at short notice and logistically we can not host the visit with such large groups of people in the mosque.
Visits are hosted by a group of volunteer tour guides who are highly committed and experienced in the role. We are now in the process of expanding our bank of volunteer guides for the purposes of continuity and sustainability.
We are looking for a number of volunteers (male and female) with the following qualities:
- · Fluent in English
- · Must be a good communicator, confident not arrogant
- · Able to understand and deliver a common tour with flexibility for individual group requirements
- · Friendly, courteous, helpful and patient approach to dealing with challenging questions by visitors
- · Good basic understanding of Islam and daily life of Muslims in Sheffield and wider afield
- · Committed to improving community relations and understanding of Islam in wider communities
- · Must have understanding of wider social issues affecting local Muslim and non-Muslim communities
- · You must be a user of Madina Masjid
- · You must be available during weekdays (not every day is required but we need different volunteers to be available on pre-booked basis)
- · Must be aged over 18
- · Able to pass a CRB check as you may be working with children and vulnerable adults
Full training will be given and you will be matched with existing tour guides whom you will shadow while they give tours to groups.
We also organise speakers to go out into schools and community groups – if this is something you are interested in please contact us too.
If you are interested in this role, you should contact Waheed Akhtar, Committee Secretary with some short background information about yourself and why you want to do the role. We will then invite you to a presentation session where you can come and ask questions and see a tour being given in practice.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you wish to discuss the role you can call Waheed on 07886 388595
Help raise funds for the Masjid
Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. However, we still need your support as we have further projects to complete and every penny donated is welcome.
You can donate directly into our bank account. Account name: Sheffield Islamic Centre Madina Masjid held with HSBC Bank PLC.
Sort Code: 40-37-25 Bank account number: 72862824
We are on Facebook!
Join our fan page on Facebook. Log in to Facebook and search for 'Madina Masjid Sheffield'. Go on to the page and subscribe as a fan. You will then receive updates on key activities happening at the Masjid.
Public Visits Programme remains open!
Due to popular demand we are continuing a programme of visits for the public. Please click the link on the left for further information.